Deciding to remodel your home, no matter how big the project, is a huge decision to make! Even with the best contractors your home life is still going to be a bit chaotic for a short time. Luckily the benefits outweigh the temporary inconveniences! While it may feel like your home is falling apart, there are ways to keep a bit of normalcy while improving your home!
- Set up a temporary kitchen. Kitchen renovations may be the hardest to live through and you may feel like eating out is your only option which can be extremely hard on your wallet and health. Setting up a temporary kitchen using small kitchen appliances like a toast oven, air fryer, microwave, and pressure cooker is a great way to still have home cooked meals without a full kitchen.
- Reorganize to make usable space functional. More often than not, people will essentially live out of a suitcase when their home is being remodeled. This will only cause extra stress in an already stressful situation. Take the time to change up your routine in a way that will work with your current setup! If you’re using a guest bathroom, unpack your toiletries and hygiene items instead of living out of a bag or box!
- Set strict boundaries for children to keep them safe. When exciting things are happening in your home, curious young minds will want to explore! Take the time to explain to children the dangers of exploring the construction zone and always clean up tools to prevent accidents.
- Create a schedule for common spaces like bathrooms and kitchens. Obviously both of these areas cannot have a strict schedule, but be aware of each family member’s needs for personal time and plan accordingly.
- Use outdoor space. If the weather permits, spend as much time as possible outside! When it feels like everything is out of control inside, set up an outdoor movie night or dinner for a change of scenery!
- Use a trusted contractor. This is important to maintain a strict schedule and keep construction moving. When completing a DIY renovation, it is easy to get off track and become too relaxed when it comes to end dates.
We know that renovating any area your home can feel like your whole world is being uprooted. Even when it seems like everything is pure chaos, it is totally possible to live comfortably in a home that is being renovated! Having a positive mindset and flexible attitude will help ease any stress that could come with a remodel. At Bower Design and Construction, we work diligently to get your life back to normal as soon as possible! If you’re looking for a reliable home contractor around Racine County, reach out to us today to see if we’re the perfect fit for your project!