Choosing the Best Land for Your Brand New Home Build
Building a Home? Here is how you choose the best land!
Building your dream home is more than just picking countertops and bathroom tile, it all starts with where you want to live! The land that you choose plays a huge part in your custom home. This is where your kids are going to play, where you’ll host barbecues, and where you’ll sit on your porch drinking coffee listening to the birds. Choosing the right plot of land is one of the biggest decisions you’ll make. All of the happy memories you make could be over crowded by noisy neighbors, an over controlling HOA, and a busy highway. Here are our top considerations for choosing the perfect plot of land to build your custom dream home!
- Location. This seems like a given, but it’s more than just the immediate location. Think about how far away the closest grocery store is. If you’re elbows deep making dinner and see that your onion that you knew you had was rotten, or your kid gets sick at 2 am and you’re out of Tylenol you need to know you’re able to get to the store quickly! If coffee is important to you, where is the closest coffee shop? Drive around the area
- Environmental Hazards. Is there a river somewhere close that can cause flooding? Is there healthy soil or is it going to be impossible to grow any landscaping? Is the land ready to build on, or does it need to be prepared? Evaluate all of the environmental risks before making any final decisions to prevent any surprises from coming up during building or even ten years down the road.
- Survey. Always have someone come out and survey the land prior to building. This will prevent any future disputes from coming up. Knowing where your land begins and ends also allows you to make the most out of your land!
- Future growth of the community. If at all possible, look for an area that is considered “up and coming.” This will help you ensure you’ll make the most return should you decide to sell in the future!
- HOA. Homeowners associations (also known as HOAs) can be amazing allies when it comes to keeping a neighborhood safe, clean, and desirable, however, sometimes they can be a little tricky as well. HOAs can be extremely costly as well as control a lot of what you’re allowed to do on your land from paint colors to whether or not you can park a boat in your driveway. Before purchasing land, find out what rules the HOA has and whether or not you’re willing to abide by them!
- Lastly, Neighborhood or private. Do you like the idea of having neighbors close by? Or do you prefer to have a little more secluded spot with more land? Neighborhoods often have plenty of space for a decent backyard perfect for a swingset or a nice barbecue. You may even have space for a private pool, however this can give you a lack of privacy. Land out in a more “country” setting offers more opportunity for growth and privacy, however you miss out on the conveniences like close grocery stores, gas stations, and neighbors.
These things, as well as many others, need to be considered when purchasing land for your custom dream home. If you need help, contact us today for assistance in where you want to build!