There are so many fun ways to customize your kitchen, including putting in a custom kitchen island! Kitchen islands are a fantastic way to add counter space when you don’t want to over clutter the walls. A custom kitchen island is a great way to make your kitchen function better for your family! Whether you’re a baker, chef, or just a bit of a mess in the kitchen, adding in that space makes it easy to spread out and get to work! There are so many unique ways to customize your island! Here are some of our favorites!
- Add in a second sink for handwashing! When you’re elbows deep in baking Christmas cookies for everyone on your block, chances are your sink is piled high with bowls, whisks, and everything else! (or let’s be real, it’s just Tuesday night and the dishes from Monday are still “soaking” to get the burnt cheese off!) We’ve all been there, but what happens when you need to wash your hands? You can try and stack all the dishes to one side, but that always causes water to splash out, run down your shirt, and somehow ends up soaking your socks. Adding in a second small hand washing sink to your island is a simple way to make sure you always have a spot to wash your hands no matter how big the mess!
- Extend the countertop over the cabinets to add in extra seating. This is pretty common, but when you have younger, school aged kids it is a fantastic way to make sure homework and other tasks are getting done while still preparing dinner or cleaning up. When you have younger kids, we suggest getting chairs with backs versus traditional bar stools to prevent accidents!
- Adding a mini fridge into your island is a great way to get them out of the fridge. If you have kids in the house you can get a locking fridge to keep sneaky teenagers out of your adult beverages! It’s also a way to keep kids’ beverages at their level! With more people moving towards bottom freezer refrigerators that keep snacks and drinks out of kids reach, this is a great way to allow some independence! Just load the mini fridge up with parent approved snacks and drinks that kids can grab as they please!
- Another way to get rid of dead space and extra clutter would be to add your pets’ food dishes right in to your island! Adding a drawer in the baseboards gets it up off the floor and makes it look just a little bit nicer!
- A built-in, induction single burner is a great addition for quick tasks like boiling water or heating up something small, and sometimes it’s just nice to have an extra burner when you’re making a big meal!
- Putting pot and pan storage in your island is a great way to keep yourself a little more organized. Built in storage keeps things where they need to be without getting cluttered. If you’re like most Americans, your pots and pans storage definitely needs some help!
- Appliance garages are a great way to get bigger appliances such as toasters, stand mixers, and air fryers off of your counter, but still easily accessible!
A custom island may be an investment, but being able to add in different features that make your kitchen run a little bit smoother is worth it! At Bower Design and Construction, we can design anything you may need! Our designers are highly skilled and can help you build the kitchen of your dreams! Contact us today to get started on your custom kitchen remodel!