Spring may feel forever away, but the sunshine and clear skies will be here before we know it! With winter coming to a long awaited end, it’s time to start thinking about spring cleaning! Spring cleaning is your chance to declutter, deep clean, and get your home reset after a crazy winter season! Cleaning doesn’t have to be overwhelming! Here are a few simple steps to set your year up for success!
- Clean your toilets with Coke. Coke is more than a refreshing beverage on a hot day. The gentle acidity also makes it a cheap alternative to toxic cleaners. Add a cab to your bowl and let it set while you do other tasks, then gently brush away stains and build up!
- Use lemon and coarse salt to clean pesky cast iron skillets. Spread a generous amount of coarse salt and use half a lemon to scrub out tough baked on food from cast iron skillets and other heavy duty cookware. Avoid this on anything with a protective coating or paint as the abrasive scrub would affect the pan.
- A window squeegee will remove pet hair from carpets and furniture. The rubber on the squeegee will pull hair and other dirt out with ease!
- Use coffee filters to remove dust on screens. A coffee filter is soft and gentle enough to safely remove dust and fingerprints from tvs, computers, and tablets!
- Invest in vacuum bags to store out of season clothes and sheets. Vacuum bags make bulk and hard to store items compressed and easy to stack. Package matching bedding sets together to make it easy to remake a bed without having to search for all the right pieces.
- Use your hangers to determine what you don’t wear anymore. Turn all of your hangers backwards to start. Whenever you wear and wash something, put it back in your closet the “right” way. Next year donate anything that is still facing backwards.
- Keep snacks and drinks close by while you clean. Keeping snacks close by helps keep you focused on what you’re doing instead of getting distracted by thinking about what you’re making for lunch! And obviously a pot of coffee is important for morale!
- Spend time everyday to keep up your hard work! At the end of every day, take ten minutes to pick up whatever you’ve used for the day. This will help keep your home tidy between deep cleaning!